1. What personal information we collect about you and how we collect it Personal information has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and includes information or an opinion (whether true or not) about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
We aim to collect personal information only if it is reasonably necessary to provide the service, product or information you have requested from us.
In the course of providing you with products and services, Langdon Building collects personal information in a variety of ways. In most cases, we will collect personal information about you directly from you. However, in some cases, we will collect information about you from your local Council, your financier, conveyancer and/or solicitor.
If you are a customer of Langdon Building, we may also collect personal information about you from consultants assisting us with the build of your home, subcontractors, your financier, Local Council, conveyancers or solicitors in connection with the build of your home.
If you are an employee of a subcontractor to Langdon Building, we may also collect personal information about you from your employer.
At the time of collection, or as soon as practicable after we have collected it, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to notify you of the collection and of any matters relevant to the collection, unless it is obvious from the circumstances that you would know or would expect us to have the information.
In general, we collect personal information about the following people:
- customers of Langdon Building;
- subcontractors to Langdon Building and employees of subcontractors;
consultants, employees of finance companies, Local Council, conveyancers, solicitors and service suppliers with which interact in the course of our business.
Langdon Building may collect personal information about you when:
- you engage Langdon Building to provide you with goods and services, including building a new home, or enquire about the provision of services;
- visit a display home;
- you engage with our business and its employees, including in the course of receiving services from us;
- you visit our website, www.langdonbuilding.com.au (Website) (and the features offered through that Website, including Smart Build);
- you make an enquiry about our products and/or services (including through our Website);
- you become a client or debtor of the Langdon Building;
you ask to be placed on one of our mailing lists;
- you acquire goods or services through our Website or otherwise; and you supply goods or services to us.
We may have CCTV cameras installed at and in our display homes. The CCTV cameras record audio and video, through which you may be identified. The CCTV cameras are installed for the safety of our staff and visitors and the security of our properties. We may also use the CCTV recordings (and the personal information collected through those recordings) for internal training purposes.
In general, in addition to this CCTV information, you can assume that we may collect the following personal information about you:
- email address;
- telephone/fax numbers;
- details about you to assist in managing our relationship with you, including details about interactions between you and Langdon Building employees; and
- details of the products or services we have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries.
If you are a customer of Langdon Building for whom we are building a new home, we may also collect land ownership details, lending details, your date of birth and bank account details. For each visitor to our Website, we may also collect other non-personally identifiable information, including your server address, domain name, the date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and information downloaded.
If you do not provide the necessary personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the goods, services or information that you have requested from us.
2. Purpose of collection
We collect personal information primarily to:
- provide you with the goods, services and information that you request from us;
- provide you with information about Langdon Building’s products and services;
- suggest Langdon Building products and services to you; and
- manage our relationship with you.
If it is reasonable to expect that we would use or disclose your personal information for purposes which are related to the above primary purposes, we may also use or disclose your personal information to:
- assist you with enquiries or complaints;
- develop and improve our business services and relationships;
- promote, advertise and market any of our products and services, including to invite you to seminars or events hosted by Langdon Building;
- to comply with our legal obligations (including to comply with any law or any lawful request of a law enforcement agency or government authority), resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our clients and enforce our agreements with third parties such as your employer;
- inform you of developments at Langdon Building and other services that we can provide; and
- in relation to information collected through any CCTV cameras that we have at our display homes, we collect that information for the safety of our staff and visitors and the security of our properties. We may also use the CCTV recordings (and the personal information collected through those recordings) for internal training purposes.
- We may use information collected through our Website for the purpose of gauging visitor traffic, trends and delivering personalised content to you while you are at our Website.
Where possible, we will provide you with a choice to opt-out of any of the above and any of our marketing communications. We will respect your request to decline to receive these marketing communications.
3. Sharing of your personal information
If you are a customer of Langdon Building, we may disclose your personal information to consultants or other service providers assisting us with the build of your home, subcontractors, your financier, Local Council, conveyancers or solicitors in connection with the build of your home.
If you are an employee of a subcontractor, we may disclose your personal information to your employer or to the owner of the home that you are building or working on.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- external providers of services that we may use to operate our business and manage our business systems (for example, this may include file storage service providers, database and mailing service providers, marketing service providers; couriers and/or freight service providers, printers, call centres, providers of payment processing and identity verification services and IT technicians who may need access when providing on-site support (although it is our practice for them to work under supervision) and other professional service providers as required from time to time);
- our professional advisors and agents; or
- our existing or potential agents, business partners or partners.
We may disclose your personal information to these third parties so that they can assist us with providing the best possible service to you.
Those companies will be permitted to access only the personal information they need to deliver the service to Langdon Building or to you. Langdon Building takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
We may also use and disclose CCTV recordings (and any personal information obtained through those recordings) for the purpose of legal or law enforcement investigations, including to our lawyers or law enforcement agencies (including Victoria Police).
We are not likely to disclose information to overseas recipients unless it is with your consent, or the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
The privacy and collection practices of entities to which we disclose personal information are governed by their own privacy policies and collection notices.
We will not otherwise disclose information about you unless the disclosure:
- is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to our disclosing the information about you.
- 4. Quality of your personal information
We aim to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. To assist us in this, you need to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as requested and properly update the information to us to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
If you believe that the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact us and we will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
If we do not believe the information to be incorrect, we will take reasonable steps to add a statement to the information claiming that you believe the information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date.
5. Securing your personal information
We may hold your personal information in electronic or hard copy form. Langdon Building takes reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes appropriate measures to protect electronic materials and materials generated and stored in hardcopy.
We take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed.
7. Accessing and correcting your personal information
You have a right to request access to, or the correction of, your personal information that we hold about you, subject to exceptions allowed by law. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.
We will give you access to, or correct, your personal information unless there is a lawful reason for refusing your request for access or correction. If we refuse your request we will give you a written notice explaining our reasons for that refusal and how you may complain about that refusal.
8. Change in control of Langdon Building
If we sell or otherwise transfer part or the whole of Langdon Building or our business to another organisation (including in the course of a transaction like a sale, merger or acquisition or as part of a dissolution, liquidation, administration, receivership or other form of insolvency), you agree that your personal information that is collected by Langdon Building may be disclosed to a third party, prospective buyer, transferee or insolvency practitioner and that this is reasonable to enable that party to continue or manage the business.
If you have a complaint about our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, or you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the APPs, please contact our Privacy Officer at the details set out below.
In your complaint, please set out the details of your complaint and your contact details. Our Privacy Officer will contact you to acknowledge your request and ask for any other applicable information. Our Privacy Officer will then investigate the issue and advise you in writing of the outcome.
You can also make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. Further information is available at www.oaic.gov.au.
10. Contacting us
Our contact details in respect of any issues in relation to privacy are:
Telephone: 03 5334 3045
Email [email protected]
Post Attn: Privacy Officer Langdon Building Pty Ltd
1 Napier Avenue
ALFREDTON VICTORIA 3350
Take the first step towards making your dream home a reality. Contact our team below to discuss your thoughts or plans.